The City of Freo is inviting us all to celebrate the opening of Walyalup Koort, ‘the only formal town square in Western Australia’, with a community open day on Sunday 5 December from 2 pm to 5 pm.
As the City says: Before Fremantle, there was Walyalup.
In the Nyoongar language, the area around modern-day Fremantle is known as Walyalup – meaning place of the Walyo or Woylie, a small brush-tailed bettong or kangaroo rat.
The local Whadjuk people, part of the larger Nyoongar nation, have been its custodians for over 45,000 years.
Here are artists impressions of how the Koort will look by early December.
Yesterday we posted a story on how it’s all looking right now.
It should be fun. Here’s some of the activities you can expect –
* Have some fun at the colourful new Walyalup Koort playground inspired by Freo’s industrial history, unique culture and close links; or just relax on the Walyalup Civic Centre’s sloping urban lawn.
* Explore the state-of-the-art Fremantle Library with free family-friendly activities include drop-in art and craft classes, LEGO making, video games in the gaming zone, the interactive map in the history centre and demonstrations of interactive VR technology and 3D printing.
* Visit the new Walyalup Civic Centre with the welcoming customer service centre, council chamber and bookable community spaces in the library and civic centre.
* Witness the inaugural Welcome to Country by Nyoongar Elders Marie Taylor and Richard Walley and the first lighting of a new ceremonial fire vessel in the Koort.
* Enjoy performances from the Walyalup Kannajil Community Choir and Madjitil Moorna Choir, and local Fremantle musicians.
* For the kids there’ll be a Kids Adventure Scavenger Hunt through the library and playground, and free activities with Buster It’s All About Play.
* Plus, have your chance at winning great prizes and giveaways from an inflatable ball pit.
PLEASE HELP US TO GROW FREMANTLE SHIPPING NEWS
FSN is a reader-supported, volunteer-assisted online magazine all about Fremantle. Thanks for helping!
Bring your family, friends and neighbours to the historic opening of Fremantle’s new heart, Walyalup Koort.
Let’s do it. It should be fun!